Much progress towards greater inclusivity has been made within the building, design, and construction industries over the past decade, but more can be done. Research has shown that many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) employees aren’t comfortable being open about their sexual orientation in the workplace. And, homophobic and transphobic slurs and comments continue to remain a greater problem on active construction sites. Many firms have worked to incorporate or improve their own LGBTQ employee resource groups; this is not yet an industry-wide standard practice.
Build Out Alliance seeks to fill this void. Build Out Alliance’s mission is to promote and advocate for LGBTQ people serving openly and with pride in all roles within the building, design, and construction industries. Our members work towards making the entire industry more welcoming to LGBTQ professionals, leading by example in our own work environments and through partnerships with community organizations.
Currently, Build Out Alliance has active members and representatives from across the building, design, and construction industry – from small, local architecture firms to global engineering and design firms and construction professionals. We see an industry where inclusion is valued universally, where LGBTQ professionals have equal opportunities, can work openly with pride, and benefit from a professional network.
What we intend to do
In support of our mission and vision, Build Out Alliance intends to perform the following key activities.
- Visibility - introduce careers in our industry to LGBTQ youth
- Recruitment - present a welcoming work and recruiting environment for LGBTQ students studying for careers in the industry
- Mentoring - develop successful young LGBTQ professionals
- Outreach - create relationships between the industry and LGBTQ service community
- Networking - cultivate bonds between LGBTQ colleagues within the industry
- Leadership - promote LGBTQ high-potential employees into high visibility roles
- Impact - leave a better and more inclusive industry and world for the next generation